Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Another Chocolate Stout Cake



When I hear the word stout, I don't usually think of beer. First, I think of the University of Wisconsin-Stout in Menominee, Wis. (I went to college in nearby Eau Claire.) Next, I think that stout describes the shape I have taken on since the beginning of the year. Eventually, I get around to stout as in the dark beer.

A couple of weeks ago, the King Arthur Flour email newsletter included a link to a blog post and recipe for a chocolate stout cake. I was intrigued because the cake looked pretty awesome; besides, I'd already bought a six-pack of Guinness for a chocolate stout Bundt cake. I decided to make the King Arthur cake for St. Patrick's Day.

The process mostly went well; I had only a couple of gripes. First, the cake layers baked with a bit of doming, which meant that I had to level two of them before assembling the cake. (I am thinking that is because I used my thinner cake pans instead of the heavier-duty ones.) Also, if you choose the three-layer option as I did, I think you don't get quite enough ganache to frost the cake. (My instinct tells me that even if you made the cake as two layers, you might want to split and fill them; otherwise, that is going to be two extremely thick layers of cake. In that case, of course, you would definitely need more ganache.)

That said, the cake is great: rich and very moist. (You might expect that, of course, when you get to the second ingredient in the recipe: 1 lb. of butter.) I think that this cake might be good enough to become a St. Patrick's Day tradition.

1 comment:

Spingoddess said...

Hi Chris, how are you?! Recovering well I hope! I heard about the stout cake on runango, and it looks awesome!

I also wanted to share some photos of Isabella's birthday cake with you, it's the first cake I ever really decorated, with real buttercream and sugar dough flowers which I made and painted with food color paste.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=sy60zyx.an21ywzd&x=0&y=tb97q0&localeid=en_US

I remember you and Claire took a cake decorating course, I'm looking for one around here.

I hope all is well Chris, lots of people miss you on the boards!

Aubrey