Monday, February 2, 2009

Groundhog Day 2009



This year, our friends had their annual Groundhog Day party. Good fun as always, and as always, lots of good food, including some fantastic homemade vegetable soup. Somehow over the weekend, I completely lost track of the fact that today was Groundhog Day. It wasn't until fairly late last evening that I remembered I'd volunteered to bring a dessert. Focused on the need to make something quick, I turned to No Bake Cookies by Camilla Saulsbury. We'd tried a surprisingly good peanut-butter bar cookie from this book over the holidays, so I was up for trying a new recipe. I chose a cookies-and-cream bar cookie that largely consisted of a lot of ground-up Oreos, some making the base, some mixed into a creamy topping (vanilla pudding mix, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, coarsely crumbled Oreos). I was alarmed when I tried a bit of the topping; it tasted overly sweet to me. Consequently, I chose to cut the bars into small squares. I think that might have been the absolutely right thing to do, too, because in the end, the bars weren't that bad. (What a ringing endorsement!) I got some positive feedback from guests at the party, so I guess that's good enough.

In keeping with the theme of the day, another guest brought some nifty cupcakes. Claire snagged one on her way out the door. (It might not look exactly like a groundhog, but it's the thought that counts!)

1 comment:

Hallie Fae said...

I've done a few no bake bars recently with oreos. They always turn out really good!