Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Lemon Layer Cake



This cake turned out tasting far better than I thought I was going to.

The recipe is from Better Homes & Gardens's New Baking Book. The Lusty Lemon Cake is three layers of cake, filled with lemon curd, then coated with a lemon-cream cheese icing. I was prepared to be underwhelmed. The cake layers weren't too lemony. The lemon-curd filling uses the weirdest lemon-curd technique I've ever seen. And the frosting lacked zip.

Somehow, though, when the parts came together, the cake tasted really good. I credit the lemon curd. No matter how weird the process for making it, the curd punched up the flavor of the cake. I think the cake layers and frosting can be tweaked for the better, too, but in the end this time, the final result was admirably serviceable.

No comments: