Sunday, February 3, 2008

Apple Bars


I'd made these Apple Bars with Oatmeal Crumb Topping to bring to the Groundhog Day party, but they finished baking only a half-hour before we needed to leave for the party. No time to cut them without destroying them, so they were saved for another day.

This handy recipe is from Allysa Torey's More from Magnolia. I've made it before and like it. The recipe is convenient and quick to assemble. It just requires a fairly long baking time (20 minutes to bake the crust, then 45 minutes after it's all assembled). When I make these bars, I always feel a little lazy because canned pie filling is one of the ingredients. I'm certain they'd taste better with a fresh apple filling. That will have to go on my to-do list for a future baking endeavor. One tweak I made this time was to add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the crust, which as written calls for just flour and butter.

No comments: