Sunday, October 21, 2007

A Weekend of Baking



This all started innocently enough -- as these baking things are wont to do -- with a sale at Stew Leonard's. This week, Stew's has raspberries on sale, two half-pint containers for $4. I've been eating lots of raspberries since last Wednesday when they went on sale.

Then I figured I could bake something with raspberries, and I remembered a footnote to Kathleen King's Cream Cheese Brownies (from the Tate's Bake Shop Cookbook), in which she suggests scattering raspberries on the cream cheese layer. I've done that before, and the results are exceptional.


Then I had to deal with some leftovers (pumpkin) and overripes (bananas). For the pumpkin, I made Gina DePalma's Pumpkin Loaf Cake with Chocolate Chips from Baking From the Heart. For the bananas, I tried the Old-Fashioned Fragrant Banana Bread recipe from Marcy Goldman's new book, A Passion for Baking. Both of these loaves are still too warm to slice, but they both turned out looking great. I think I might slice and wrap them for future consumption and/or distribution.

Finally, to bring it all back to raspberries, I embarked on the latest version of The Cake. This time, The Cake is made with apples and raspberries. If The Cake Version 1.0 is the original, I guess this edition might be The Cake Version 1.2. The variations:

1.0: original
1.1: apples, glaze
1.2: apples, raspberries, glaze
2.0: pears
2.1: pears, crystallized ginger
3.0: cherries

The Cake is so insanely adaptable. No wonder I love it.

No comments: