Monday, January 26, 2009

Chocolate Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies



I was prompted to try the recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies from Marcel Desaulniers' Death by Chocolate after a friend had a disappointing experience with the recipe, finding that the dough and cookies were too crumbly. I hadn't even looked in that cookbook for a while, so it was kind of like getting a visit from an old friend.

My experience with this recipe? I thought the cookies turned out OK. The dough is crumbly, maybe a bit more fussy to work with than a regular cookie dough. But I think that peanut-butter cookie doughs can be like that. Also, this dough has a pretty big amount of peanuts (1/2 cup) and chocolate chips (2 cups) incorporated into the dough; that made the dough a bit fussier to work with.

Since the dough was crumbly, I scooped it out, then compacted it into a ball before I flattened it slightly on the baking sheet. A couple of my cookies crumbled a bit in the oven, but otherwise no problems. If I ever make these cookies again, I think I will be tempted to chop the peanuts a bit before adding them to the dough, and also maybe try the recipe with mini chocolate chips to see if that makes the dough slightly easier to handle.

No comments: