Friday, August 31, 2007

Cranberry Walnut Coffee Cake


To celebrate the first day of school, our friend Patti had a "drop off your kids at school and stop by " open house. Although I suspected that she'd have out an enormous spread of food (and I was right -- it included a lot of great fresh fruit and a terrific spinach strata), I could not allow myself to go empty-handed. As I'd pulled out Sally Sampson's Bake Sale Cookbook for other purposes, I had it available and saw a recipe for Cranberry Walnut Coffee Cake. Her recipe is based on one from Sarah Leah Chase's Open House Nantucket Cookbook. I've actually made that version of this coffee cake before, so I knew it was good. Luckily, I had a bag of cranberries in the freezer, so I was able to avoid having to use dried cranberries in the coffeecake. With a rich, sour-cream-based cake layer topped with cranberries and a nutty struesel, this cake deserves to be prepared more often than I've made it.

My confession: I was in such a hurry (or maybe in such a fog from the cold I've had) to get the cake in the oven last night that I forgot to put the walnuts in the struesel. I don't think it hurt the cake at all.

No comments: