Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Banana Butter Pecan Ice Cream



Summertime, and the living is easy, unless you are a banana, in which case you are bound to be overripe in about 3.5 hours. A happy coincidence of overripe bananas and a link to this recipe (thanks to my Aunt Joan--yes, I do follow the recipe links!) gave me an excuse for another batch of ice cream.

First note: This recipe makes a lot of ice-cream base. I had to churn it in two batches.

Second note: I didn't follow the recipe as printed. I sauteed the chopped pecans in the butter and salt. Also, I heated the cream and brown sugar, then pureed the bananas in the blender with some of the warm liquid. I then rewarmed the cream, tempered the egg yolks, and proceeded with the rest of the recipe. After churning both batches of the base, I folded in the toasted butter pecans. It all turned out just fine and is a great twist on traditional butter pecan ice cream.

No comments: