Wednesday, June 20, 2007

German Chocolate Cake


Today was a work birthday, and I think it's the first time I've ever gotten a cake request from the birthday celebrator. Krysta, our assistant art director, wondered if I'd consider making a German Chocolate Cake for her birthday. I hadn't made one in a while, and the idea seemed appealing. Rather than going too off the wall, I went with the traditional recipe. I used the compilation cookbook Birthday Cakes by Kathryn Kleinman, which contains a recipe by John Martin Taylor.

OK, there was one difference. The tweak I made was to add a band of fudge icing to the exterior of the cake. That treatment hearkens back to our days of living in Shaker Heights, Ohio. The Eddie Sands Blueline Cafe prepared their German Chocolate Cake that way, and I always loved that extra chocolate richness on the cake. I don't think I've made a German Chocolate Cake without the band of icing since then.

Many thanks to Krysta for taking this photo. I forgot to shoot the cake last night, and also forgot to bring my camera to work this morning. In case you think your eyesight is going, don't worry. The cake is a bit tall on one side. I should have leveled the layers, or been more attentive to rotating the pans in the oven. I think my oven has a wicked hot spot.

1 comment:

Obscure Reference said...

"Wicked hot spot" - It really looks like that wouldn't matter in this case. I love the frosting on the side idea. Never had one that way. BTW, I didn't know you lived in Shaker Heights! (I've actually been there.)