Friday, November 28, 2014

TWD: Cranberry Crackle Tart


Our second dip into Baking Chez Moi is for the seasonally appropriate Cranberry Crackle Tart. It's basically a giant cranberry-filled meringue on a layer of jam in a cookie-like tart crust. I thought this was basically OK: didn't love it, didn't hate it. After I tried a slice of it, I started to think that maybe I should try a version of it with raspberries instead of cranberries. Plus, to get more buy-in on the home front, I will need to figure out a way to sneak some chocolate in there.

Also, I realized after I made it that I should have read some of the comments at TWD. Then I would have known to use my hand-held mixer to beat the egg whites instead of my stand mixer, to get better volume. Live and learn!

Finally, belated thanks to everyone who commented on my first Baking Chez Moi post. It ended up being a crazy point with work and home stuff, and I was a negligent community member both in responding to comments here and in checking out others' posts. I hope to make up for that with this week's recipe.


3 comments:

Zosia said...

I think raspberries would be fantastic in this tart! And the chocolate sounds like a great idea.....finely grated into the meringue? or a chocolate tart shell?

Kayte said...

Looks very good...I can see all kinds of flavor combinations with this recipe...and yes, I am terribly surprised that more people did not "chocolate this up" this week...drizzle, chocolate layer, chocolate in crust...Oh, yeah, having been through the first TWD with many of them, I am real surprised at everyone's restraint on the chocolate bits. LOL...I am not a chocolate fan so I take a great deal of razzing as the weeks go by.

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

Looks good! You can always spread some melted chocolate on the tart shell, then add the jam or omit it all-together. Or maybe throw some mini chocolate chips into the meringue with the cranberries?