Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Tuesdays With Dorie: Pizza with Onion Confit

This week for Tuesdays With Dorie, we got to make pizza with onion confit. While cooking the onions, I couldn't help but think of a joke we used to share when I was in cooking school: "How do you make a duck confit? Give him warm slippers, a cozy jacket, a comfy chair ..." OK, OK, it certainly cracked us up at the time. All in all, I really essentially liked this recipe. I liked that there was enough dough for two pizzas, which allowed me to start with one plain pizza:


Then I made the pie with the onion confit:


While I liked the onion confit, I'm not sure I liked it as a pizza topping, which is odd because I like caramelized onions as a pizza topping. Maybe I used too much of the confit on the pizza. I do think it would be kind of excellent on a grilled cheese, though. The combination of a very hot oven, a sprinkling of cornmeal, and a heated pizza stone provided for an excellent crust on this pizza. I almost couldn't believe it was homemade, except for the fact that my crust-shaping skills are uninspiring.

Bottom line: I think it's likely that this crust recipe will be revisited, and soon. I don't know if I'll redo the confit as a topping, but I would definitely make pizza at home again.

For the recipe, visit this week's host, Paul, at The Boy Can Bake.

No insane ingredients this week, but over the holidays, I managed to use up the bag of semolina flour I'd purchased for the semolina bread we made last year. I found a terrific biscotti recipe at the King Art website, then made many batches of biscotti.

6 comments:

Have Apron....Will Bake said...

I liked the onion confit too, but think I would choose caramelized onions over it in the future.
It made for an interesting pizza though. And the addition of goat cheese made it even better.

Sara said...

I think it's a very nice-looking pizza! Homestyle pizzas are so attractive, in my opinion. And usually pretty tasty! Both of your versions look terrific!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Chris, thank you for visiting my blog - both your pizzas look delicious! I think this was a great base recipe and it left a lot of room for many inspired variations.

gfcelebration said...

Home made pizza is always best. Both your pizza look delicious.

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

Is the first pizza heart shaped? They both are lovely. I really enjoyed the confit and will be making this again.

Cher Rockwell said...

Grilled cheese with onion confit - now we're talking... That would be awesome.