Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tuesdays With Dorie: Hazelnut Biscotti


Our latest recipe in the exploration of Baking With Julia is Hazelnut Biscotti. So far, I've tried to be pretty strict in making the recipes as directed the first time out, but I didn't have hazelnuts and didn't feel like buying them. Instead, I decided to use whole almonds: hence, I made almond biscotti. I substituted amaretto for the hazelnut liqueur, and also added a handful of mini chocolate chips.

One of the best things about making biscotti is that you can control the crispness of the cookies. Personally, while I like biscotti, I don't really like the kind that are so hard that I feel like my teeth are going to shatter when I eat them. I made mine just a little softer than that. They still crunch, but I won't need to set up a dental appointment to replace any shattered crowns.

All in all, this recipe (from the most excellent contributing baker Alice Medrich) is enormously adaptable. I could easily foresee a biscotti jag in my future, especially since I now need to use up a Costco-size bag of whole almonds.

If you'd like the recipe, visit this week's recipe hosts, Jodi at Homemade and Wholesome and Katrina at Baking and Boys.

5 comments:

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Great subs! Love all three together, too. :)

Elaine said...

Almonds and amaretto plus chocolate sound perfect for biscotti and they look beautiful. I don't like to eat biscotti by itself, but I do enjoy dunking them into coffee or tea that way they don't crack your teeth.

Katrina said...

Mmm! Almonds are definitely more economical and easier to get and chocolate is a must. This is a great recipe for any add-in you want. (there are lots of other recipes floating around that don't make such a crunchy biscotti, they usually have butter.) ;)

Cher Rockwell said...

Almonds were a great choice on these. I do love hazelnuts, but anything that goes with Amaretto is a really close runner up :-)

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

Looks and sounds wonderful. Nicely done.