Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Tuesdays With Dorie: Irish Soda Bread


After reading the intro blurb for this recipe, I felt really reluctant to make it. I wasn't enthusiastic about making something that would be "as hard as the Blarney Stone" after one day. Then I saw some comments at the TWD site that indicated that this assessment might have been a little over the top.

It's a pretty simple recipe: flour, baking soda, salt, and buttermilk. To buy myself a little more freshness time, I made a couple of tweaks: I replaced a portion of the buttermilk with 1/4 cup of melted butter; and I also added a cup of dark raisins that I'd macerated in some Irish whiskey.

The whole thing came together really well, and before I put it in the oven, I sprinkled the top with a tablespoon or so of coarse sugar. The soda bread looks like a giant scone. It's yet to be tasted, but it's going to be served at an event less than 24 hours after it was baked. I hope it holds up. I'll report back later on that, and also get a better photo.

2 comments:

ostwestwind said...

It holds up, that's for sure! Your bread looks nice

Ulrike @Küchenlatein

Cher Rockwell said...

This bread definitely kept longer than advertised. Hope it went over well when you served it!