Sunday, April 19, 2009

Neil's Donuts

Yesterday, we took Claire to a skating clinic in Hamden, a town near New Haven. Afterward, we decided to head to Boston for the day. While heading north on the Merritt Parkway, we passed a sign indicating that the exit for Yalesville was coming up. In the dark, bakery-cluttered recesses of my mind, I remembered reading some commentary at Roadfood.com about a good doughnut place in Yalesville. Since I was driving, we took the exit. A little bit up the road, and voila! Neil's Donuts!

In addition to doughnuts, Neil's has a nice assortment of baked goods. We kind of went for a sampler with a bit of everything.

Doughnuts are best fresh, and I very much enjoyed the pillowy soft freshness of the chocolate-glazed, chocolate-jimmied raised doughnut I had for breakfast. Karen had the chocolate-glazed cake doughnut and declared it good. Claire opted for the Boston-cream doughnut (lower left) that was so oozing with filling that we ended up having to stop so that she could wash her hands.

I'd been meaning to get to Neil's for years, but before yesterday, it was never conveniently on the way anywhere. Now all I can say is that I hope that Claire will be attending another skating clinic in Hamden in the near future. I know exactly how to fill my time while she is on the ice.

Unfortunately, we didn't make it to any bakeries after we arrived in Boston, although I did see someone carrying a bag from Finale.

These final two photos are not bakery-related, but I figured I'd tack them on here: me at the Boston Marathon finish line and Claire in the Public Garden at the Make Way for Ducklings statues.


4 comments:

Eat Well, Eat Cheap said...

God, those donuts sound (and look) great, no matter how many times you might need to wash your hands...

ryan said...

I've been to Neil's. Definitely excellent donuts.

I'm headed to Donut Dip this weekend. Woo!

Chris H. said...

<< God, those donuts sound (and look) great, no matter how many times you might need to wash your hands... >>

It's just a reminder that good doughnuts maybe should be a sloppy eating experience!

Chris H. said...

<< I'm headed to Donut Dip this weekend. Woo! >>

That might be worthy of two woos!