Friday, May 4, 2007

Easy Snack Cake


For a PLTI alumni meeting this week, I made a simple 1-2-3-4 cake from Debra Ponzek's The Family Kitchen. I bought this family-friendly book thinking that Claire and I would discover some interesting new things she would like to try to eat. (We're still working on that.)

Ponzek's cake is called Easy Snack Cake, and it is pretty straightforward. I think it would be a little easier if it used regular all-purpose flour instead of cake flour (just a slightly fussier ingredient). I zested a couple of oranges into the batter, and I think that the orange gave the cake a nice flavor. I frosted the cake with her Homestyle Chocolate Frosting. I'm not sure if you can tell from the photo, but the frosting -- which most definitely is homemade -- has a strangely canned appearance. It uses no butter but contains a lot of cream cheese (9 oz.). I'm not entirely sure about the frosting. It seemed like a nifty idea when I was reading the recipe, but something about it isn't adding up for me. My sense is that it's too sweet, and maybe a bit gummy. The cake is fine; the frosting is something I might try once more to see if I get a similar result.

No comments: