Thursday, May 10, 2007

I'm Ready for My Closeup, Mr. De Mille



My colleagues across the hall are publishing a special foldout in an upcoming special outdoor-living issue of Fine Gardening, and they're going to be featuring some recipes from a new cookbook, Barbecue Nation. Because they were in need of a dessert to be shown in one photo, I was invited to prepare something that could be photographed. So coming up soon, nationwide, will be a photo of Molten Chocolate Cakes.

I took a bit of a chance with the recipe. I made the batter and portioned it into ramekins, and I baked it off this morning at work. Then the ramekins were whisked away for their photo session. I also made a lightly sweetened, espresso-spiked whipped cream to go with the cakes; it's the recommended garnish accompanying the recipe.

Everything seemed to turn out OK. The resting of the batter overnight in the fridge didn't seem to inhibit the cakes from puffing up in the oven. The one glitch is that they ended up cooked all the way through, consequently lacking moltenness. I hadn't considered the reality that the batter would continue baking in the hot ramekins, which weren't photographed immediately upon coming out of the oven. As you can see, however, the cakes were in highly able hands. Ace photographer Scott and art director Stephanie styled the shoot in an amazing way. And by all accounts, the cakes were tasty, especially when served with the espresso whipped cream.

1 comment:

Obscure Reference said...

*sigh* I work at the wrong place.